My First Two Weeks at UCD

My first two weeks at University College Dublin are officially complete! I flew out of Logan last week and arrived with plenty of time to explore as classes don’t start until this coming Monday. It’s certainly been an adjustment living halfway across the world, but as each day goes by, the more I’m sure that this is where I’m meant to be. We are so lucky at Holy Cross to be able to study abroad and immerse ourselves in the culture of other countries. For me, Dublin holds a special place in my heart as I have family from Ireland and the literature here is unmatched; a perfect fit for an English major.

While I can’t speak much on the college itself as classes have yet to begin, I can say that this city is spectacular. My roommate and I spent the first few days just wandering the streets and getting lost on purpose. Every turn we took led us somewhere new and exciting and we always happened upon the most unique little places. Getting here early allowed us to take our time navigating the buses (although it’s shockingly easy to do, and that’s coming from someone that grew up in a place with zero public transportation), recovering from jet lag (which took way too long), and all around getting used to the place we’re going to call home for the next five months.

Some highlights that have stood out from the last couple of weeks have been:

• Taking a tour bus to the Cliffs of Moher and Galway. Scheduling a tour was so easy to do and relatively cheap for all that we were able to see and the planning that was done for us. The Cliffs were spectacular and even though the wind almost threw us into the Atlantic a few times, the view was magical.
  • Trying different pubs and restaurants all through Dublin. As my Dad always says, Ireland has really upped their game from potatoes in the last few decades. A favorite foodie adventure of mine was going to afternoon tea. The scones and finger sandwiches were a chefs kiss.
  • Making some excursions to Dublin features including: the National Botanic Gardens, the National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin Castle and Trinity College.
  • Stopping in quaint bookstores and boutiques on the streets and finding local vendors to admire.
  • The music in Ireland is also incredible. Every place I go into has an amazing soundtrack on. From local pubs to musicians on the streets, the sounds of Dublin are beautiful.

There is so much left to do during my time abroad and I can’t wait to keep you all updated. Cheers till next time!