Creating a Home and Exploring Europe

Part three of studying abroad in a new country and I have to say this place is starting to feel like home. I cannot believe that I’ve already been here for six weeks. That’s really just an unfathomable concept to me. Things that seemed so scary at first, have become so natural. Taking the bus into the city to sit in a coffee shop and do homework is a breeze. Maneuvering my way around many expansive buildings on UCD’s campus has become second nature. Sitting in lecture halls with over 100 people… well we’re getting there. I have this whole new sense of independence, this satisfaction that I’m capable of living somewhere new and exciting and making it feel like home. I won’t lie, I miss Holy Cross quite a bit; that comfort of having a routine and seeing familiar faces everywhere you turn. I miss my family too, and the feeling of knowing that they’re only ever an hour and a half away from me at most. Now, there’s an entire ocean between us, and that’s a weird concept. But here I am, I’m doing this! I’m making a life for myself and it’s wildly rewarding.

While the routine of the weekdays allows me to feel at home in Dublin, the weekends continue to prove to be the perfect opportunities for travel and immersion. In the last two weekends I have traveled to two other countries: England and Northern Ireland. The first of these weekends, I slept on my roommate’s floor at Oxford for three nights and then had my first hostel experience in London for two nights. The ease with which we were able to step on a plane and fly to another country was incredible. There was so much to see in both of these cities and our days were full with exploring Oxford and touring London. Northern Ireland was also a pleasant surprise; we took a Black Taxi Tour of Belfast and learned all about the Troubles. From there we headed to the mesmerizing Giant’s Causeway! Overall, the first weekends of traveling to other countries in Europe have been great successes.

Creating a home away from home has had its ups and downs, but finding normalcy across the Pond is coming readily now and being able to “country-hop” is a privilege that I don’t let go unnoticed. Cheers!